WORK HISTORY: COMEDIAN
- Not Solely But Mostly Women in Cabaret, stand-up comedians, including Julie as Dr Mary Hartman. The Gap, Sydney Trade Union Club 1984
- Characters Australia’s top female comics, including Julie as Dr Mary Hartman, Caberet Room, Sydney Trade Union Club. Performers included Wendy Harmer, Gretel Killeen, Sue Ingleton, Mandy Saloman, Maggie Lynch and Victoria Roberts. 1984
- Characters 2! 1985. Australia’s top female comics, including Julie as Dr Mary Hartman, performing as part of the Sydney Festival at the Sydney Trade Union Club and at The Wharf Theatre for the Sydney Theatre Company. This show also toured to Canberra. The National Times newspaper’s review by James Waites on 8 February 1985 said, “Quieter but also impressive, is the work of Julie McCrossin. Much more writerly in her approach, McCrossin is currently offering a piece on the doctors’ dispute well worth the price of a consultation”.
- Women Comics Across Australia, Polygram Records 1985. This album was recorded live at the Characters 2! Show of Australia’s top female comics performing in the Caberet Room of the Sydney Trade Union Club in Sydney. It features Julie McCrossin, Gretel Killeen, Sue Ingleton, Mandy Saloman, Maggie Lynch and Victoria Roberts.
- Adelaide Fringe Festival, Julie performed as Dr Mary Hartman 1986
- Freelance Comedian, For over 13 years, Julie also gave satirical presentations at seminars and conferences as the comedy character Dr Mary Hartman. Julie initially developed the character with her friend Julie Bishop on the community radio show Gay waves on 2SER-FM in Sydney. The staged seduction known as the 5 Point
Plan for getting a Boy or a Girl, Depending on Your Sexual Preference was an instant success. Dr Mary Hartman wore a white coat with a stethoscope and she entertained audiences by satirizing the causes of stress and anxiety in their work and family life and providing unusual psychosexual advice. Julie stopped performing as
Dr Mary Hartman once she began her television appearances in the TV media quiz show Good News Week 1983-98
- Dear Dr Hartman, Julie wrote this satirical advice column as the psycho-therapist Dr Mary Hartman for the Australian Left Review magazine 1990-1991